[xmlblaster] Native (socket) vs XML-RPC protocol for client implementation

Dear all,

Currently my xmlBlaster client library for Delphi (planned for Free Pascal also) uses a XML-RPC library which I want to replace by a new solution because the XML-RPC lib is licensed under LGPL, so some license restrictions apply for users of this solution.

I would like to replace the communication protocol by native (socket) TCP/IP which seems to have some advantages - if I understand correctly the client uses only one socket to the message broker for outgoing and incoming messages and does not have to open an XML-RPC server port for the callback (which could cause firewall problems).

But if there are good reasons which make XML-RPC a better approach, I could also implement the library on top of another XML-RPC library which has a more 'commercial friendly' license.

My client library for xmlBlaster does not expose the protocol layer, so I am free to choose between native socket (which has some other nice advantages also) and XML-RPC, however the native socket seems to be more portable because it requires only a basic TCP/IP library.

I am not sure which solution to choose, but are there any features in the XML-RPC protocol version that make it the better choice compared with the native protocol? (assuming that the implementation time does not matter...)

Best Regards
--

Michael Justin
SCJP, SCJA