[xmlblaster] ANNOUNCE xmlBlaster release 0.84

Salute,

the new release 0.84 is out.
(We wait with 0.85 until we got feedback about 0.84)

XmlBlaster is maturing to industrial strength.

We are now on the way to be a valid alternative to commercial MoMs
such as MQSeries and SonicMQ.

In many of the features we are already far ahead, some others are still missing
(like transaction support and a SWING administration console).

IMPORTANT NOTE: ---------------

1. Remove your old xmlBlaster.properties, jacorb.properties
 and orb.properties files.
 Use the new files from directory xmlBlaster/config.

2. Backward compatibility:
 * xmlBlaster 0.84 has got changes to the client API (Java and C++)
   Please read
     xmlBlaster/CHANGES
   and study
     xmlBlaster/demo/javaclients/HelloWorld3.java
   as an example.

3. The default setup of xmlBlaster runs RAM based only,
there is no persistence for crash recovery.
To switch it on you need Postgres or Oracle installed, see
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/queue.jdbc.postgres.html
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/queue.jdbc.oracle.html
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/queue.jdbc.html
and read the NOTE in xmlBlaster.properties.
This way you get swapping support for huge message amount
and persistence messages to survive server crashes.

NEW FEATURES: -------------

1. Full C++ support (by Michele Laghi, Marting Johnson, Marcel Ruff and others)
* It is known to run on Linux gcc 2.9 and 3.2 and Solaris
* The xmlBlaster branch CPP_WIN contains a Windows variant:
cvs checkout -r CPP_WIN xmlBlaster
When some namespace issues are resolved it will be merged
back to the main trunk.
* Compile:
cd xmlBlaster
build.sh cpp (unix/linux)
build.bat cpp (windows)
* See
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/client.cpp.html
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/src/c++/doc/html/
xmlBlaster/src/c++
xmlBlaster/testsuite/src/c++

2. Client side fail over behavior specification and implementation (Java and C++)
(by Michele Laghi and Marcel Ruff), see
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/client.failsave.html

3. A simple GUI to receive messages (Wolfgang Kleinertz, Thomas Bodemer, Heinrich Götzger), see
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/demo/javaclients/simplereader/README

4. Startup as Windows NT/2000 service or Linux/Unix daemon (by David Robison)
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/admin.start.asService.html

5. PtP cluster routing added (by Marcel Ruff)
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/cluster.PtP.html
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/engine.qos.publish.destination.PtP.html

6. Persistence queue and storage specification and implementation
(by Michele Laghi, Marcel Ruff)
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/engine.persistence.html
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/queue.html
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/queue.cache.html
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/queue.ram.html
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/queue.jdbc.html
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/queue.jdbc.postgres.html
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/queue.jdbc.oracle.html

7. Message lifecycle support added (Marcel Ruff, Michele Laghi)
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/engine.message.lifecycle.html

8. Exception and error code specification and implementation
(Marcel Ruff, Michele Laghi, Konrad Krafft, Cyrille Giquello, Heinrich Götzger and others)
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/admin.errorcodes.html

9. Logging plugin framework (by Peter Antman)
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/util.log.plugin.html

10. Message dispatcher plugin framework (Marcel Ruff)
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/delivery.control.plugin.html
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/delivery.plugin.priorizedDelivery.html

11. Reworked java client library (Michele Laghi, Marcel Ruff)
    http://www.xmlblaster.org/invocationOverviewTable.html

12. Full text search plugin with XPath for xml'ish message contents (Peter Antman)
http://www.xmlblaster.org/xmlBlaster/doc/requirements/mime.plugin.access.xpath.html

And many smaller additions, changes and bugfixes.

Please read the CHANGES file for more informations.

KNOWN BUGS: -----------

 * Not known

NEXT RELEASES: --------------

The next release is 0.85 and we strive to have these additional changes:

1. The new queue framework is embedded to the Java client library
  (inclusive the dispatcher plugin framework)

2. Sessions and subcriptions are made persistent to survive a server crash

3. History message access will be better documented and more
  query options are implemented

4. Performance profiling and extended memory leak checks

5. An embedded JDBC database additionally to Postgres and Oracle.

6. Finish port to new property syntax (see mailing list discussion).

The release 0.9 will (hopefully) contain:

1. Cluster mirroring of sessions and subscriptions (additionally to the
  already functional message mirroring).

2. Load balancing in cluster environment

3. Finishing SNMP support (it is partially coded already).

4. User plugins startable at configurable runlevels by the Runlevel manager.
  (Supporting administrative topic creation and many other things).

5. A SWING based frontend to control and configure xmlBlaster clusters.

enjoy,

The xmlBlaster.org maintainers
http://www.xmlBlaster.org