c++-classes: tips on building xerces

Hi all,
the c++ classes will run with xerces version 1.1.0 and 1.2.0. On my machine however (Linux) I was faced to some minor problems when compiling & installing xerces.

So here follows a short description on how I installed it.

Downloaded the file
http://xml.apache.org/dist/xerces-c/stable/archives/Xerces-C_1_2_0/Xerces-C-src_1_2_0.tar.gz
unpacked it on $HOME with

tar xfvz Xerces-C-src_1_2_0.tar.gz

this would create the directory $HOME/xerces-c-src_1_2_0
now I set the XERCESCROOT environment variable to point to that directory (with bash):

export XERCESCROOT=$HOME/xerces-c-src_1_2_0
cd $XERCESCROOT/src
./runConfigure -plinux -cgcc -xg++ -minmem -nfileonly -tnative
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/xerces
make
make install
mkdir /usr/local/xerces/util/Platforms
mkdir /usr/local/xerces/util/Platforms/Linux
cp $XERCESCROOT/include/util/Platforms/Linux/LinuxDefs.hpp /usr/local/xerces/util/Platforms/Linux

The last three lines are there because the normal install procedure did miss a file in the installation.

You then need to edit /etc/ld.so.conf by adding the line
/usr/local/xerces/lib save it and run ldconfig
or if you don't want to do that, set LD_LIBRARY_PATH:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/xerces/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Cheers

Michele Laghi
Av. Benavides 163 dpto. 301
MIRAFLORES-LIMA (PERU)