Re: Concurrent sending

pra at mint.se wrote:

> Hi, first I have to say that I like xmlBlaster a lot (and REALLY look
> forward to the time when it will be possible to key on the message
> content to).

Are you talking about a query possibility into the content,
our proposal for a mime based content query plugin?
For my part this was not on the hot list, in my
use cases the key meta info is enough, but it may
as well be on higher priority.

> Today I have another question: How should one handle concurrency (and
> perhaps pooling) with xmlblaster?
>
> What I am after is this. Say I have a one-to-many situation. I have one
> publisher that will publish a lot of messages to the server; many enough
> that a single connection will be saturated. This publisher is the same
> "client" all the time.
>
> What I have experienced is that if I log in with a credential (user,pwd)
> and the creates one more connection with the same credentials, the first
> connection will be dropped.

Yes this is true, currently a second login of the same client
kills the first one.
We plan to allow session based logins, which would
allow many simultaneous logins of the same client.
See Micheles RFC in our mailing list from 08 Jan 2001,
'login and callback behavior'.
Please comment on it if this would meet your needs.

Currently you need to work around multi logins.
You can for example login with your login name
plus a counter:

  joe_1
  joe_2
  joe_3

> Another scenario. I use XmlBlaster in JBoss, and are contemplating
> integrating it closer into JBoss and perhaps write a J2EE Connector
> provider adapter. The normal way to go in a J2EE application is that you
> set up one set of credentials for a bean (say a message-driven bean, or
> a stateless bean). This is then used in conjunction with a connection
> pool of some sort, that will upphold many connections with the same
> credentials.

If i remember right, the message driven bean is single threaded,
so one connection would do the job.
There would be no performance gain even for multi logins in this
case, since the client is in the same JVM.

Having multiple message driven beans, would currently
require different login names, or reusing the same
login channel.

On the other hand, when our above RCF is implemented,
you may choose which ever philosophy you like.

> Or is this not possible with xmlblaster? Would I have to have handlers
> to the client that is serialized over one login, on one connection?

Yep, currently this is a solution (as mentioned above, this
would not slow down the overall performance).

> Any help here would be realy good (and may eventually lead to that JBoss
> will get MessageDriven beans with built in xmlBlaster support, since I
> was the one implementing Message Driven Beans in JBoss ;.))
Sounds good, hopefully our mailing list is not that flooded than,
like the jboss list :-)

thanks,

Marcel Ruff
mailto:ruff at swand.lake.de