Re: OpenQueue (oqtane)

First of all I want to apologize because of the late answer.
Thinking about collaboration I believe it is always welcome, particularly between OpenSource projects.
xmlBlaster offers support for different protocols. Currenty there is no SOAP driver but this could probably be implemented in a similar way as the (currently pre-alpha) RPC-XML driver. I think it would be intressing to look at your SOAP interface...

Greetings
Michele Laghi

Matt Jensen wrote:

I run the OpenQueue project, and lurk on the xmlBlaster list :-) I'm
interested in hearing what people think about collaboration, too. While
the xmlBlaster team can describe their own current status and goals, let
me summarize where we are with OpenQueue, and where we might all
cooperate:

* The wire protocol is still called OpenQueue. Oqtane is the new name of
the actual server program we make available.

* OpenQueue does do persistent pub/sub messaging pretty reliably, but it
currently does not do point-to-point (the essential difference being, in
our eyes, that in PtP multiple consumers can consume messages in turn from
a topic, allowing for easy load balancing; in pub/sub, consumers consume
messages independently from each other).  PtP is a goal for OpenQueue, but
not yet designed.

* I've started defining a SOAP interface for message queuing.  This is a
very exciting opportunity, I think, for both teams to cooperate.  If we
can come up with a very simple set of MQ function definitions, a user
could run any mix of SOAP-compliant xmlBlaster or OpenQueue clients and
servers. Writing wrappers for other systems (MQSeries, MSMQ, JMS) should
be pretty easy, too.  While there's a lot that would need to be figured
out, and this would only provide basic functionality, it could be a great
leap for integration. It's better for the Open Source community to solve
this problem now, before Microsoft and IBM try to force a solution upon
us, IMHO.  Is there any interest in this in the xmlBlaster group?

Thanks,

-Matt Jensen
 NewsBlip.com
 Seattle

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Ganesh Prasad wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I gather from your website that xmlBlaster is a PtP and Pub/Sub product but
> not a queueing product. There is an Open Source queueing product called
> OpenQueue (recently rechristened "oqtane", at
> http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=18450). Is any
> integration/interoperability planned between these two projects? It would be
> a very powerful combination.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ganesh Prasad
> Chief Service Architect
> Reply2 Pty Ltd
> MemberCorp Communications Group Pty Ltd
> Tel  (+ 61 2)  9339 2912

> PRIVILEGED - PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
> This electronic mail is solely for the use of the addressee and may contain
> information which is confidential or privileged.
>
> If you are not the intended recipient any use, distribution, disclosure or
> copying of this information is prohibited.  If you receive this electronic
> mail in error, please delete it and any attachments from your system
> immediately and notify the sender by electronic mail or using any of the
> following contact details
>
> Except as required at law, Reply2 Pty Ltd does not represent, warrant and/or
> guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor
> that the communication is free of errors, virus, interception or
> interference.
>
>    Reply2 Pty Ltd             Phone:      +612 9339 2900
>    GPO Box 794                Facsimile:  +612 9339 2933
>    KINGS CROSS 1340           Email:      reply2 at reply2.com.au
>    NSW  AUSTRALIA             Website:    http://www.reply2.com.au/

Michele Laghi
Av. Benavides 163 dpto. 301