Newbie with newbie Problems...

Title: Newbie with newbie Problems...
Hello All...

Preamble
I'm trying to get XMLBLASTER to work, so I can join you all...
unfortunately my LINUX development expirience can be listed by "cat
/dev/null".

My linux expirience is better (at least a little) but mostly on the
operating/installation side. (setting up file-servers, firewalls,
routes, etc).

I'm an Expirience developer, but new to linux...

Problem
Get xmlBlaster (CVS) to run on my machine.

Steps Taken:
  1. Got cvs downloaded as described in HTML on your website. (did this as
    	user "jerry")
  2. Installed IBM JDK 1.3 using YAST (SuSE 7.0).  Confirmed with "java
    	-version"
  3. Executed "export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jdk1.3" to create java home... (was
    	not defined)
  4. su root, "cp config/orb.properties $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/orb.properties"
    	because "jerry" did not have write/create permission.
  5. Execued "java -jar lib/xmlBlaster.jar" as user jerry and got error:
    	"Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from
    	lib/xmlBlaster.jar"...
Further investigation shows that the xmlblaster.jar does not exist on
my machine...

Assumptions
I Assume the the xmlBlaster.jar is part of the "executable"
distribution and not part of CVS?

I looked in to the second installation method, (acutally the one I need
to use...) but it speaks of Extending a bunch of JAVA environment
variables which are not defined!

Question 1
Since not a single JAVA_... environment variable was defined, I guess
my java development environment is not correctly installed....
(Correct?).  Or is it that in a Virgin environment I'm just to define
theese?

Question 2
I realise that this question is placed in the wrong newsgroup but....
where do I put theese exports so they get exectued at login?

Thanking you in advance for your time
Newbie Jerry

P.S.
Is it okay to HTML to format theese messages?  I don't see anyone else
doing it!  Is this
another NO NO?